Saturday, March 17, 2007

Painting update

i just notice that her right eyes are too wide, and the right side of her forhead needed to be blended into the hair. its great how much digital cam can help. It doesn't quite capture the mood the original concept has but it ll do.
Thats all the time i had for today. it was quite challenging, doing the hair and trying to match the colors ...i haev to wait for the hair to dry again, other wise it gets really muddy, touches up her face a bit, and started to put over lapping hairs on her body. Fixed her nose. man, it was a major pain, its so hard to make forms with out showing obvious forms oh well, I did managed to pick up lots of new tricks today. the brushes i m using are sucking it. I bought a number 1 brushe last week and all the hairs are gone, . if anyone know of a good brand they would recomment please let me know. I hate having to keep buying it every week, thanks. :)

2 comments:

M. Dinardi said...

Firm believer in good tools. As I said before, Winsor Newton is my brand. I realized one day that 90% of my supplies are made by them.

These days I invest in brushes. Which means I take care of them by cleaning with "the Master's Brush Cleaner and Preservative." If I am painting outdoors and soak my brushes in this stuff, I can clean them a week later with no problem.

Filberts are good for portraits, the curved end is simular to the majority of shapes in a face.

I like an angled bright for buildings, to get into corners.

I use a brush called a dagger or rigger (for the thin lines of ship rigging) to paint tree branches and grasses. It would work well for the tiny hairs on your painting.

As for the size, it depends on the size of your canvas.
Start out much bigger than you are comfortable with and block in areas of color, hi-lites and shadows. Then get smaller as you get toward the finish.

Another tip is to put a medium grey or brown wash on the canvas.
First of all it puts paint on the entire surface.
Second , it is the mid tone, your lights will stand out as well as the shadows. This one thing is a huge help.

I also mark the center of the canvas so nothing major in the composition is there.

Here are two links to a synthetic bristle brush I like. It is soft enough to leave buttery strokes and stiff enough to move the pastey paint.

Winsor Newton Monarch series:
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/322/art-supplies/5

Princeton Art and Brush Co
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/275/art-supplies/4

Really like the drawing you did at work -fresh lively line work. The red head is very neat...the cast shadows.

chatree said...

Hi, Thank you for taking the time, your suggestions and comments are much appreciated.